Friday, February 12, 2010

Jeffren: "I am ready for any challenge"

Jeffren: "I am ready for any challenge"


Jeffren Suárez could not hide his delight after penning a new deal with FC Barcelona this week as he now feels like a true member of the club's first team squad.

The 22-year-old signed the agreement and received a round of applause from the squad at training on Thursday morning before he spoke to the media. "When I signed the contract I felt like a first division player and a member of the first team squad," he explained. "Now I am ready for all the challenges that lie ahead."

Full-back

With the increasing injury problems at the back for Barça Jeffren has been mooted as a possible right-back after he successfully filled in their in the Copa del Rey against Cultural Leonesa. "The coach asked me if I could play there," he explained. "For a moment I did not think he was serious, but then I saw the chance to play and I agreed I could. He asked me and so I did the best i could. I remember that I became tired very quickly and that affected me a bit, but I did all I could."

While Guardiola ponders the injury list, Jeffren sees it as a chance to impress: "The absentees give the fringe players motivation," he continued. "We will be able to cope with them as we have a great squad. For now the coach has not said anything to me. But if he asks me to play as a full-back then I will. It will be a challenge but I have faith in myself."

Confident of victory

Despite the injuries Jeffren is confident that Barça can beat Atlético de Madrid on Sunday. "We have a lot of players out and to win would send a message to the teams near us who are hoping we stumble.

No comments: